Sunday, December 20, 2009

Sea Salt Caramels

It's Sunday, I have Pandora on and like many Sundays, I can't resist baking,I've been in such a homemade gifts mode. Today I'm trying out Sea Salt Caramels found at The Nibble. Chopper is laying on the kitchen floor eager for me to start my next baking project of the day, cookies for him.

Keep an eye on the thermometer on this one! How are you supposed to keep the delicious looking goo from going over 250 when you have to cook for 15 minutes? So... here we go.

  • 1 cup heavy cream (I used ultra pasteurized, it's what was in the fridge)
  • 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
  • 2 teaspoons sea salt
  • 1-1/2 cups sugar
  • 1/4 cup light corn syrup
  • 1/4 cup water


I like to fold the parchment so it stays in place and I'm not cutting it to allow spaces for my precious caramel to escape.

This is where you add the cream to the sugar, it will bubble up.



Done! Now I have to wait a whole two hours for them to cool so I can cut them into little pieces with an oiled knife and dip them in chocolate. Then a sprinkling of sea salt and voila! deliciousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment