Saturday, August 7, 2010

Delicious Banana Bread

Call me crazy but I keep bananas in my freezer. Whenever my bananas are getting too ripe on the counter, I just toss them in the freezer for delicious baked goods. The bananas turn black but the fleshy insides don't lose any of their flavor or texture. Of course, they do not turn black inside! Our freezer in the garage mysteriously unplugged itself and we lost everything in it! Including our wedding cake which we were one week away from enjoying. Did I mention we had the most delicious red velvet cake??!?!? Oh well. So this catastrophe has caused me to clean out and eat the contents of our freezer in the kitchen. Not a bad thing... until you realize how many bananas have been stashed in there. :) Oops. Time to bake apparently.

What to make?? Martha Stewart has some delicious roasted banana cupcakes and I thought about it, but was in the mood for something less sweet. I found a recipe for Banana Bread IV on www.allrecipes.com. Why is it IV? What happened to I, II and III? Hmmm...

So here it is:

5 (yes 5) ripe bananans (thawed if you're me)
4 eggs
1 c. shortening (ew)
2 1/2 c. sugar (next time I'm trying out half brown sugar)
1 Tbsp vanilla
3 1/2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 or so tsp. cinnamon
sugar/cinnamon for topping

Mash the bananas, add the eggs.

In your handy Kitchen Aid mixer, toss in your shortening. Mix it up. Slowly add the sugar. Add in the banana mess. Sift your dry ingredients separately. Toss them in the mixer. Voila! Pour into two greased pans. Bake at 300 degrees for 1 hour 15 minutes.

Holy delicious bread crammed with bananas!! I took this to the fire station and it was gone in minutes. Definitely the best banana bread ever. And oops! I forgot a picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment