Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Homemade Marshmallows

The beauty of discovering you can make things you thought were only available packaged at the grocery store... this is one of those moments. I'm browsing an old issue of Gourmet when I discover people actually MAKE marshmallows. Sure they have to come from somewhere, but seriously.... so do sausages and you won't find me digging out a recipe for those. I was immediately perplexed and decided I had to try it out. Besides, I'm not a big marshmallow fan but I thought that the delicious flavor of something freshly made would win me over. Turns out I have all the ingredients and it looks ridiculously simple. Recipe is available here at the Epicurious site. In fact, they have a few versions in case you want to spike your marshmallows or you want to go with the coconut version which I seriously debated.

I opted for plain as you can see:

Special trick #1: Boil low, definitely not at a medium-high. It takes a bit longer but it's so worth it.

Special Trick #2: These babies are easy!!! I didn't use any potato starch, just powdered sugar. After they sat in their air tight container for a few days, they formed powdered sugar teams and decided to stick to their buddies. hehe... ok, little powdered sugar balls stuck to the marshmallows. Not so bad, I like powdered sugar.


The true trick is that they're hard to cut. I dipped my knife in powdered sugar between slice and it seemed to help but it wasn't that difficult. What do you do with 2 1/2 boxes of homemade marshmallows? You make Rocky Road of course....

No comments:

Post a Comment