Friday, February 12, 2010

MS Strawberry Cupcakes with Swiss Meringue Buttercream Disaster

When you see the picture of the beautiful strawberry cupcake on this page, you can't help but want to taste it. I have been wanting to make these cupcakes since I bought this cookbook and today was the day. Here is the end of the cupcake process (where I'm still happy and you can see my butter and eggs patiently waiting at room temperature to become yummy frosting):


And here is where I start to doubt if I really have any baking abilities at all.... It all started with a recipe for Swiss Meringue Buttercream. If you've never tried this frosting and are thinking how the heck do you get meringe and buttercream together in one frosting, welcome to the party. Devoutly following the recipe with the sole substitution of margarine for butter, which is very common in my kitchen, I heat up the sugar and egg whites, whip my egg whites and they look beautiful and glossy and perfect... then the disaster comes. I'm supposed to add 3 sticks of butter (oh yes, I said 3, look out Paula Deen) in tablespoon sized chunks, slowly. No problem! Until of course I turn my delicious meringue into curdled milk. So I'm totally lost, thinking this is horrible and I ruined the frosting. I promptly toss it out and attempt it again the next day.

Which proves to be disastrous also. This time, I went for the "real" thing: butter. Same beautiful meringue, same curdled milk. At this point, I'm seeking help. I read another recipe which clearly says... don't worry if you think you made curdled milk, keep whipping and it will smooth out. Wrong... I continued on for forever. Maybe 15 - 20 minutes and got a much more consistent strawberry color, no smooth delicious frosting. What did I do wrong?!?! I tasted the curdled mess (hehe that sounds worse than it was) and it was indeed yummy. I refrigerated it, added it to my cupcakes because boys have no clue if it looks pretty or not and took them to the fire station. I hear they were devoured. I thought they tasted great, looked terrible. I'll be trying this frosting again, third time's a charm.

No comments:

Post a Comment